Know Before You Go
Before You Leave Home
Whether you are a new or returning team member, if you are travelling from outside the United States, you must have the following documents prior to your departure from home:
- Confirmation of your arrival to Carnival Cruise Lines at least 21 days prior, by faxing or e-mailing your confirmation sheet.
- Passport valid for at least one year. United States Citizens (USC) need a current passport.
- C1/D MULTIPLE ENTRY visas valid for at least one year. Please make sure your last name and first name are correct and in the proper location.(Not necessary for USCs, Alien Residents (ARC) or Canadians.)
- Letter of employment: Your employment or re-employment letter will identify you as an employee of Carnival Cruise Lines and will allow you to leave your country and to enter the United States.
- Complete, original Carnival Cruise Lines physical, including all laboratory and X-ray results.
- Airline ticket from your hometown to your ship’s homeport city. Ensure the name, date and departure and arrival cities are correct on your airline ticket.
- Make sure you have your hotel and transportation information as well as contact phone numbers.
Keep all these items in a secure place, either on you or in a carry-on bag. Do not pack these items in your luggage, as the bag could be lost along with your documents. Keeping your documents together and close at hand will make it easier for you when you arrive in the U.S.
What else will I need?
On board the ship we do have gift shops which mainly cater to the needs of our guests. They carry such items as souvenirs, jewelry and small personal travel items which guests may have forgotten. It is recommended that team members bring a two-week supply of toiletries and personal hygiene products.
Suggested items are:
- Toothbrush and tooth paste
- Shaving cream
- Make up
- Feminine products
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- Beach towel
- Sunscreen with a SPF of 30 or higher
Additionally, a high quality, battery-powered alarm clock is strongly recommended.
The following articles will not be permitted onboard:
- Firearms and weapons of any kind
- Electric water/food heaters
- Drugs or controlled substances without proof of proper prescription
English Language Standards
It is required that all shipboard employees be fluent in English. Please be aware that when you arrive onboard your English must meet the acceptable standard.
Do I need to bring cash with me?
It is suggested that you bring at least $200 USD in cash and, if possible, a major credit card for emergencies or unforeseen expenses until you receive your first pay.
How much luggage should I pack?
Bring only what you need. Cabin space on board ship is limited and team members tend to accumulate items during their time on board. Collapsible strong luggage is helpful for increased cabin space. Although most ships operate in tropical climates, there may be occasions when warmer clothing is needed. Be sure to include at least one set of warm clothing, along with casual clothing and beachwear. (Alaska itineraries as well as hips sailing from Vancouver, Seattle, Boston, Baltimore, New York, Norfolk, etc. may require warmer clothing).
Please check with your airline for any baggage weight restrictions. Any baggage weight in excess could result in extra fees imposed by the airline.
At some homeports, before boarding your assigned vessel, team members may be required to submit their luggage through X-ray machines for screening. You will be supplied with stickers labeled "TEAM MEMBER.” which should be placed on the luggage tag to ensure your luggage is separated from those of guests. Please ensure you label your luggage accordingly and proceed to the crew gate to board the vessel. Your luggage will then be loaded onto the ship. You may collect it onboard later that day. Please keep your passport, I-94, medical contract, medication and safety certificates with you. Do not place them in the luggage for screening. You are permitted to carry on personal items such as laptops, cameras, and hand carry-on items. All other luggage must be screened.
Your luggage will be available for collection following the Orientation Program. The location for pick up onboard will be provided during this orientation.